Sheds and Greenhouses
This is not what we want on the allotments...
Stondon Parish Council will allow you to put up a shed and/or greenhouse on your plot provided you have written consent.
The shed or greenhouse cannot have a concrete base and must not contain glass.
A concrete base means a cast one. You can use paving stones on a bed of sand or wodden base.
The building shall be constructed of new or perfectly sound materials.
The key thing is that the shed is not a permanent structure and it must removable.
Why you might want a shed
A shed represents an investment so you need to be sure its worth it.
A shed is useful for:
- Keeping stuff in which makes it easier to "pop to the plot" for short visits
- Sheltering from inclement weather which makes it worth going to the plot on marginal days
- Collecting water - Fit gutters and a water butt (Useful when the mains supply is switched off)
- Can provide a south facing wall to provide shelter
Central Beds Council have a scheme for buying cheap water butts & compost bins. To find out out to install gutters see the link at the end.
Generally a shed makes working the plot easier
- Fit at least two good padlocks with good clasps
- Replace the hinge screws with clutch screws which cannot be undone. These can be obtained from a range of suppliers
- Write your phone number in a prominent location in the shed so a neighbour can give you a ring in case of a break in
- If the shed is lightweight e.g. made of metal, you will have to tie it down to prevent it blowing over
Please contact the clerk for a copy of the Shed/Greenhouse or Polytunnel. Click on the following for the same application form.
The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by the Parish Council and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
Our statement on Website accessibility statement is available here .