Planning Applications


The local planning authority [Central Bedfordshire Council Planning Department] notifies all planning applications that affect the Parish Council for their consideration and comment.

Stondon Parish Council , as a statutory consultee of Central Bedfordshire Council (CBC), is then asked to comment on all planning applications within the Parish.

The Parish Council is consulted for its local knowledge but does not determine a Planning Application, we are a statutory consultee.

Decisions are made by the planning officers using delegated powers or by the planning committee made up of CBC Councillors. Their decisions are based upon Planning Policies set out in the Local Plan, Planning Policy Statements (PPS) and Government Guidance (NPPF).

Central Bedfordshire Council must take into account, but not necessarily follow, the views or recommendations of the Parish Council.
The Parish Council’s comments upon individual planning applications considered at meetings are normally included in their minutes which are available by clicking here .

The Parish Council has the right (separate from supporters & objectors) to speak at the planning meetings if they feel strongly enough about a particular development.

We are a developer and want to understand the needs of the Parish Council?

Any potential developer is encouraged to contact the Parish Council and meet with them to discuss their proposals prior to submitting them to the Planning Authority. This can assist the developer in providing a more community lead development. The Council has a policy on such meetings and this can be accessed here.

How do I view the plans?

Details of planning applications affecting a property are posted up in public by the planning authority close to that property.

Full details of planning applications also appear on Central Bedfordshire Council web site, and you can also make comments on applications through this site.
  • online through the CBC planning website [ here ]
  • At local libraries or CBC local offices

What do I do if I have an interest or want to object to a Planning Application?

First you must view the plans and supporting documentation. If you wish to object you must write to, or email CBC and send a copy to the Parish Clerk so that we are aware of your views.

CBC have provided some guidance on commenting on applications and this PDF document is available here .

Updated versions may also be on the CBC website. If you need help, contact Central Bedfordshire Council who can advise you of relevant procedures.

Unless you have valid planning reasons, your letter will be wasted.

Listed below are some suggested reasons for objecting to a particular application:

  • Highways safety – parking/access/roads unsuitable for the development (where access is a relevant consideration).
  • Loss of privacy and light – dependent on the size/siting of the development to a neighbouring property’s principal windows (can they be directly looked into?)
  • Design/size/scale/materials of proposal in relation to the existing property, neighbouring properties and general location.
  • Effect on/loss of protected trees or listed buildings
  • Setting listed buildings on Conservation Area.
  • Noise, fumes, smell or loss of privacy.
  • Risk of flooding as a result of the proposal.
  • Loss of a valuable facility if dealt with in the local plan.
  • Disabled persons’ access
  • Proposals in the Development or Local Plan and Government policy
  • Previous planning decisions (including appeal decisions)
  • Nature conservation

Things which are not normally planning considerations include:

  • Loss of view/aspect.
  • Personal matters relating to the specific applicant.
  • Changes to land/property values.
  • Personal taste with respect to the proposal.

The examples listed above are definitive but not comprehensive and are a guide to assist in the preparation of letters or statements of support or opposition.

The following website has more information and guidance on planning applications  –

If you do wish to object there is a lot of excellent guidance on the internet. Some from specific website and some in the form of booklets.

Here is an example. How to object to a planning application

There also a number of consent types, the following link provides more detail.

Link to planning portal on consent types

You may also make comment to the Parish Council at the appropriate meeting, but the Council is not obliged to pass on any such comments to the planning authority. The Parish Clerk will be able to tell you when a particular application is due to come before the Parish Council.